Monday, October 24, 2005

Fire Mike Sherman Pt. 2

I said it two games into the season and I'm saying it again. There's no excuse for yesterday's loss (well except maybe Ryan Longwell's foot). Green Bay played not to lose the whole second half. No blitzes on Culpepper after having great success going at him in the first. What happens? The Vikings offense comes alive. Then, on the game-tying drive Sherman calls for a draw play on 3rd and 2 when Favre was hot the whole way down the field and you have the 3rd string running back in the game. Why merely try to tie a game and send it to overtime rather than march down and try to win it? That is what you call coaching with no balls.

I'm sorry, I know the outcome of the game usually depends more on the execution of the players than the coaching, but it's hard to look past the fact that despite his good record with the Packers, Sherman never wins in big games. I was glad when they stripped the GM title from him last Spring but the man really isn't the answer here at coach either. He runs a country club training camp (which leads to more injuries), doesn't know how to motivate his players, and doesn't make the right calls when the game is on the line. Smart man, probably a great coordinator, but not a strong enough head coach.

The season is all but over for the Pack after a 1-5 start and an even further depleted offense with injuries to Ahman Green and Robert Ferguson yesterday. The sad part is, Brett Favre is playing as good of football as he has any time in the past five years. Yesterday's statline: 28 of 35 for 315 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs. That's probably his best performance in two seasons -- need I remind you, with only one of his starting receivers! We can only hope that the man's love for the game will be enough to bring him back in '06.

*Sigh* Time to start looking at the top '06 draft prospects.

At least fantasy football has been fun. My records in my two leagues are 6-1 and 5-2, respectively. In the latter -- the more competitive league -- my team MVP is the Colts Defense/Special Teams. I don't know if that says my team is sad or that I made a real good pick but they've definitely won a few games for me.

On a non-football front, I have a third (and final?) interview for the Marketing & New Business position at the industrial design firm tomorrow. The mock project presentation really wowed the interview managers. The potiential client they assigned me was someone they've already been working with, so it was clutch that my research was right on, and they really liked the marketing ideas I concepted as well. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report back on the next post.

Saw Wedding Crashers over the weekend again with the girlfriend. I forgot how absolutely hilarious Chazz Reingold is -- one of the best niche characters ever. Not too many big movies out that I'd like to see right now but there's a lot of great independent stuff out including Capote, Good Luck and Goodnight, and The Squid and The Whale. I just signed up for a Netflix account a few weeks ago and I love it. My que is nicely backed up with a list of movies that I probably wouldn't go rent over new releases if I was making a trip to Blockbuster.

I still need to pick up the new Matt Pond PA album. The songs I have heard are great though. Go check it out if you like good music.

Cheers,

EH

CURRENT LISTENING: 1972 from Josh Rouse and new Bloc Party tracks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your cincinnati bengals fan blog! Check out my cincinnati bengals fan forum for lots of great cincinnati bengals fan info.