Thursday, February 16, 2006

Coffee, coolness, and human disposition

Now that's percolatin'!
- As a college student and generally morning-challenged person, I've always needed something to get me going in the morning whether it's a shower or a caffiene-loaded beverage. Working for Red Bull for 2 1/2 years that was never a problem. While from time to time I'd mix it up with something else in the morning, that was my fuel of choice. Since I started my full-time job in December, I've started to mix it up a bit more having coffee or tea some mornings and if possible, just water (which is tough and rare). One of the most frequent consumer beliefs we had to dispel when I worked for Red Bull was the idea that the stuff is chock full of caffiene. While it does have a solid amount of caffiene (80 milligrams), lately I've found myself much more wired on the mornings that I drink coffee. Today in particular my mind seemed to be whizzing in all sorts of directions and putting me in an ADD-like state. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I'm so used to Red Bull it doesn't affect me in the way it once did, but on the other hand coffee doesn't have an ingredient to help focus as taurine does in the Bull. Either way, I was about as focused as a kindergartener after a jumbo pixie stick this morning.

- A recent study discussed on Agenda, Inc. this morning found that technology is a huge factor in in being 'cool' among today's youth, with cool kids now being defined as the "creatives."

No longer are today's generation of cool kids defined by the brand names they wear -- now they're defined as being the "Creatives," according to a recent study. According to the Energy BBDO study of teens across 13 countries "Creatives are the most wired, most innovated and most influential teens worldwide."

My question: does this mean the teenage bloggers and Sidekick users are getting laid more than the jocks?

- Finally, the other day I was thinking about my career choice and how I couldn't see myself in any career other than marketing/advertising or something that involves writing. Besides my natural proclivity for creative outlets, I was thinking on the larger scale of my personal dispositions to certain types of thinking . Though I can be pretty good at analyzing thinkings and making deductions, I absolutely hate math and never really had a strong interest in how machines worked or other things that engineering types are sometimes into at a young age. Moreover, my interests have largely been in activities involving human emotion/relation or expression, which are obviously a huge part of branding, marketing, and advertising. Now it could be a rather narrow and short-sighted view, but it seems to me that you could place (white collar) careers in one of two categories: people/emotion-oriented or analysis/logic-oriented. This is like the whole left brain and right brian argument where it's pretty ignorant to say people completely fit one or the other, but relatively speaking I think it applies. Thinking of the people I know and what type of job they're in, I can definitely see those dispositions having a magnetizing effect.

I know, lots of cerebral stuff today. I'll write about something fun next time. For now, go read about modern day yacht pirates.

CURRENT LISTENING: Stevie Wonder - "As"

No comments: