Thursday, February 02, 2006

Is the average person paying attention to blogs? Not my friends

One thing I've been meaning to share here for a while is reactions people have had to my blog, whether in real-life or in the form of a Facebook message. Here are some of the highlights:

"What the hell is a blog?" - a friend/former co-worker

"You have a blog?!?" - a friend, in a surprised, "wow, you ARE a geek" fashion

"Love yer blog dude!" - Facebook message most likely drenched in sarcasm

"Just read your blog 'o fun. Interesting." - Facebook message

Those are a few of the more unique choice quotes. Other than that I have a few friends who read the blog on a regular basis, really understand what it is, and are geniunely interested.

Some of the reactions from people, all my own age, made me wonder what the actual readership, awareness, and interest in blogs is. After a quick search, I found a March 2005 CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll that revealed some major findings about the actual level of most Americans' familiarity with weblogs. Interesting figures:

"More than three-quarters of Americans — 76 percent — said they use the Internet, but only 26 percent said they were “very familiar” or “somewhat familiar” with blogs.

Just 7 percent of adults said they read blogs at least a few times per week...Forty-eight percent said they never do."

With the current number of blogs at a staggering 26.9 million, it would seem surprising that only 26% of internet users read blogs -- and only 7% of total American adults.

While I could not find anything focusing particularly on Generation Y, the one that I belong to and the one known for being the most socially connected through the internet, I would assume a huge concentration of those percentages lies there.

And while blogs have certainly come into discussion in mainstream media in the last 6 months, they probably haven't quite hit the tipping point in mainstream America the way instant messaging and most recently, MySpace, have. From talking to friends, I only know a few others who actively read blogs and an even smaller number of people who write their own.

It's still a fringe thing. And that explains the sarcasm and "geek" type responses.

Onto other things...
- I'm attending a cool party this weekend thrown by a friend/former co-worker and some of his buddies. The party is billed as "The First Annual Random Party" and the invitation came with the following description:

"The concept behind the random party is simple…you're much more likely to meet new and interesting people through your friends than at a packed bar full of "striped shirt guys" and "cougars" (look up the terms if you need to!!!)."

I can't say I disagree with that premise. The party is being held at Martini Blu, a classy, albiet somewhat "yuppie," downtown Minneapolis bar located in a swanky Hotel. I don't know if I'd pick the same setting and vibe, but I'm up for getting dressed up a la "Swingers" and doin' it big at a nice place a few times a year. Should be a good time.

- Work has been somewhat slow this week. I've been keeping myself steadily busy throughout the day, but it kinda feels like the week has dragged by. In addidtion, my workload now involves more calling random people on the phone. Although my title is Marketing & External Communications -- not particurly sales -- a part of my duties is lead generation before we create and send personalized marketing materials to decision-markers at target companies. I wouldn't call it cold-calling, but it's not too far off, and I'm not particularly thrilled when I have to do it. Guess there's positives and drawbacks to every job...

- I'm pretty excited for Super Bowl XL, as it should be a great game. Things are definitely heating up between the players right now. I'll be watching at the house of my hardcore Steeler-fan friend with plenty of beer and food in tow. A few friends of mine and I tossed around the idea of not only wearing, but making, Seahawks gear to wear over. Steeler friend would probably find it funny until his team had the lower numeral in the score column.

Well, that's it for the day. Have an awesome weekend.

No comments: