Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Mankato, MN: Most drunk students per capita?

Over the weekend I hung out with one of my best friends from high school where he goes to college: the town of Mankato, MN. This was probably the fifth or sixth time I had been to Mankato for "leisure" purposes, though I've been to their campus area in the double digits because of my part-time job with Red Bull in college.

My friend, who I jokingly refer to as "The Mayor" due to the fact that he seemed to know everyone down there as a freshman, is truly enchanted with his college town, even going as far as calling it "the greatest place on Earth." On the surface, this town of 32,427 people looks anything but a potential treasure to a twenty-something from a major metropolitan area, though it could easily seem to be an exciting place for someone from a bit of a smaller town. But dig a little deeper (translation: go out at night) and you'll find what all of the fuss is about. From campus house parties to the highly concentrated few blocks of bars fighting for students with cheap drink specials, it is as big of a party school atmosphere as you will ever see. Sure, UW-Madison holds the official title, which if I'm not mistaken is awarded anually, but they have the bias of a larger and more visible student body. Of Mankato's approximately 14,000 students, I have to believe that at least 70% of them "binge drink" on a weekly basis (the def. of "binge" states "5 or more drinks in a single setting"). And sure, my friends and I did a fair share of partying ourselves at the U of M, but when you go to a school that's actually academically rigorous, you can't drink 5 out of 7 nights of the week (though I'm sure a few people I've met would argue with me). My counterparts at Mankato can do this when they choose to, and they love their school for it. I don't know how they'll all turn out, but at least they have Timberwolves owner and MSU alum Glen Taylor for inspiration.

No comments: