Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Boom or Bust

A few weeks after my first fantasy football draft (of three this season), I have been pondering the quality of my players and fate of my team. One thing I noticed in looking at my team compared to others in the league is that I tend to draft younger players who have upside or a chance for a breakout season, rather than crafty old veterans. A few examples of this on my roster are Running Backs J.J. Arrington and Mewelde Moore, Wide Receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Lee Evans, and Byron Leftwich at backup QB. These guys are going to make or break my roster. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The good thing about being in multiple fantasy football leagues (besides it being really fun) is that you can go back and look at how you drafted previously and note any players you may have reached or guys you may have missed out on. I'm pretty confident heading into my next two drafts. The first one was full of hardcore NFL fans who study up and for the most part, know their stuff. The next two are definitely more winnable leagues with about half of the owners being more casual fans. Those leagues are always fun, but I definitely prefer the challenge of trying to win in a league of guys on your level of football knowledge (or higher, of course).

The job search continues. I think I've been a little stressed out about it lately and it's completely unnecessary. I could've easily landed a job a long time ago but I'm only pursing opportunities I really want and it's going to take some time because of that. I still search online on the daily, but I've realized I just need to chill out more and something will hit. My internship is over in less than two weeks and it will be a relief to go back to strictly part-time hours after working 55 a week between my internship and job all summer. I might plan a vacation...nothing major though. It'll definitely be continental U.S., maybe some place where I have a friend to visit (New York, Jackson Hole, Sacramento). As long as it's a place that offers some new and refreshing surroundings. We'll see how much money I have to play with.

My brother left for school last weekend. All this talk of friends and siblings going back to college almost makes me miss it. Thing is, I'll pretty much have the same lifestyle minus the classes and homework in two weeks.

With my brother heading back to school I'm now driving his car for the timebeing. It's ugly. Driving a 1988 Pontiac 6000 is even more inspiration for finding a job soon. At least it's got a nice CD player.

Speaking of CD's, I have to get out and pick up that new Kanye West album. The few tracks I've heard have been stellar and I've read nothing but glowing reviews including 5 stars in Rolling Stone and a 9.5 on Pitchfork (I didn't even know those guys ever gave ratings like that to acts that people have heard of). Look for me next weekend rollin' around in that hot 6000 bumpin' some Kayne. I might be at the State Fair too.

CURRENT LISTENING: Kanye West - "Touch The Sky"
LAST MOVIE SEEN: Red Eye

No comments: