Monday, August 01, 2005

I hate cover letters

A cover letter is supposed to give a potential employer a brief overview of why you're interested in the position, their company, and why you'd be an ideal candidate. The catch is, most of this stuff is bull that people cake on in order to hopefully get in for an interview. Most cover letters end up having the same general format and overall message. You can try to infuse some personality into it, but that's difficult to do without getting to an informal level. Best of all, you have to try to impress them while keeping it as concise as possible. You might spend 2 hours researching a company, writing, and revising. Conversely, the HR person is going to spend about 30 seconds or less reading the letter. Since last spring I have probably written at least dozen of these. Kill me now.

Yesterday I was driving back to Minneapolis on 35W North from my parents' house. When you get down by Hwy 13 the highway road is on a slope and you have this great view of the Minneapolis skyline on the horizon. I love that.

One of my college friends who moved out to Omaha this summer for law school is coming back into town this weekend. Definitely looking forward to that. This guy is a staunch (and blindly loyal) Conservative who knows so much about law and history that he can can make you believe he's right in a political debate even when he's dead wrong. Somehow him and I became friends. Given our political positions, this seems highly unlikely to some people. Then we go out and party together and they soon understand.

I'm almost ready to give up on the Twins for the rest of the season. Since the All-Star break we've been on a downward spiral and with the injury to Hunter and lack of a trade made before the deadline, things look to be getting worse. Unless the hitting turns around our playoff hopes are over. It's a bummer too, because more than a Twins playoff berth I really wanted to see the Yankees NOT make the playoffs for once. Maybe that can still happen.

JWalk showed up to the veterans arrival day of Packer camp. I agree with his stance on being grossly underpaid so a cheesehead can only hope he matches or exceeds his level of play from last season and gets rewarded with a contract extension during the season. I'm getting insanely stoked for football season. I wasn't too optimistic about the Green Bay defense a few months ago but from what I've been reading in training camp reports (yes, work downtime) it sounds like Bates could be putting a much improved product on the field. I'm not going to hold my breath for a Super Bowl but it would be great if they could make the playoffs again and have an awesome season for Favre.

Before I go, I must note the hilarious spawn of two of the most popular features to ever hit the internet: HotorNot + Google Maps. Yes folks, you can now find hotties that live in your neighborhood on the internet.

Keep up the barrage of comments!

CURRENT LISTENING: anything by The Secret Machines

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who's the guy who went west a little ways for law school? If it's Johnny Sideburns, or whatever you call him, I hope you have fun with him when he's back.

This guy some may call crazy, but in a good way. He is so opiniated, and loves a good arguement.