Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Quite Frankly, I'm surprised

If you watch ESPN even occasionally I'm sure you're well aware of who Stephen A. Smith is. For a while, this guy was the most annoying person I had seen in sports broadcasting. He came onto Sportscenter and NBA broadcasts seemingly out of nowhere and made a lot of noise with his attitude and brash viewpoints and predictions. I wanted to turn the channel at times that this guy would be talking and a friend of mine who was even more annoyed by him went as far as to research what his actual sports credentials were. What he found was that the guy played Community College basketball for two years and averaged something like 17-points per. Not exactly expert material. Well as of a week ago, Stephen A. Smith has his own show called "Quite Frankly" weeknights on ESPN2. I can tell you right now that I was rolling my eyes the first time I saw a promo for it on ESPN. Out of curiosity I watched one of the first shows last week. Now this show is different from all of ESPN's other material -- it's a one hour talk show where Smith sits and gives an indepth interview with various figures of the sports world. After watching the first show, I gotta admit, I was a little intrigued. Smith interviewed Allen Iverson and he asked some good questions that got to the heart of things -- even bringing Iverson to tears over the subject of his relationship with Larry Brown. At the same time, the guy can pump up some of the athletes too much by caking on what he loves about them. Overall, it seems like it's going to be a show worth watching and I'm sure it will draw both praise and quite naturally, sighs of agony from those put off by Smith's personality. I have yet to watch another full episode but I've already TiVo'd tonight's feature that promises to be an intriguing one: Drew Rosenhouse. Oh yeah, for a little more info on Smith's rise to his pseudo-star status...he went from being a beat writer for Temple basketball in the Philadelphia Inquirer to sports columnist to a career with America's biggest Sports Network in 10 years. Not a bad climb.

I was a little aggravated yesterday...my pre-order of the Limbeck album (along with Demon Days by the Gorillaz) did not come . Damn towerrecords.com to hell. In the meantime, I've been listening to The National, Death Cab For Cutie, Days Away, and possibly the album I overlooked the most this year: Ryan Adams' Cold Roses.

Only four days until the long-awaited Fifth Quarter Fantasy Football league draft. You know the wheels are in full motion on the fantasy football think tank!

That's it for the moment. Cheers.

No comments: