Monday, January 23, 2006

Why Sports Guy rules

If you frequent ESPN.com or have ever checked out any of my links to the left of the page (yes, those links) you may have read a column or blog entry by Bill Simmons, aka "Sports Guy," a regular columnist on ESPN.com Page 2. The Sports Guy is an often humorous, always entertaining ruminator on the current happenings of the sports world. He also entertains mail from readers once a week on Page 2 and is
known to discuss about many things out of the normal sports world subject
matter including famous women and pop culture. The following letter serves as a perfect example of why I love the "Sports Guy":

Q: I think I was actually more upset over the assassination of former President David Palmer on "24" last night than I would have been if our actual president would have been assassinated. It was like I lost
a member of my own family. Maybe I'm just screwed up, but I don't think so. Here is my question: If you forced every registered voter in America to watch seasons 1-4 on DVD, and convinced Dennis Haysbert to legally change his name to David Palmer, don't you think he would win in a landslide in 2008? I have bounced this question off several people and Palmer has every vote so far, and most would have voted for
him over Bush and Kerry.

-- Ryan Desmond, Miami

SG: Obviously I'm with you. But while we're here, some readers were upset that I revealed the "24" plot twist in Wednesday's column
because they hadn't watched the show yet. So here's my question...how can you call yourself a "24" fan and not watch the season premiere of "24" right when it airs? Are you kidding me? Would you save the Super Bowl on TiVo and watch it later? What about Game 7 of the NBA Finals? When "24" came on the tube Sunday night, my baby daughter
could have had a diaper covered in six pounds of poop and I would have waited until 10 o'clock to change her. I'm not apologizing for this one. You had three days to watch it -- unless you were trapped in a well or something, there's no excuse. That's like saying that I shouldn't have discussed the Bettis Fumble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREATLY improved blog. A shiner